[DNS] Australia's luckiest man?

From: Dave <frm125§gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:16:02 +1000

> Again, I think we are talking fractions of a percent that are impacted
> by this, and you could come up with equally memorable names that are not
> literally the place name of the enterprise.

One of the major advantages of generics is that you get many of the benefits
of branding for free. Amazon.com <http://Amazon.com> and
ebay.com<http://ebay.com>didn't become brand names without the help of
millions of marketing dollars
and many years of brand building.

If I were to start an information and accommodation booking site for Byron
Bay tomorrow, byronbay.com.au <http://byronbay.com.au> would be a major
advantage over some unrelated domain that I would need to spend time and
money to brand.

Don't dismiss the power of a generic domain - just ask
travel.com.au<http://travel.com.au>,
realestate.com.au <http://realestate.com.au>,
casrsales.com.au<http://casrsales.com.au>,
news.com.au <http://news.com.au> etc etc all major/leading players in their
respective space.

Interesting debate but perhaps deserving of its own thread?