Re: [DNS] Re: Whois & Spam

From: Bill Rogers <ansearchwatch§yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 04:42:37 +0100 (BST)
--- Michael Purse wrote:

> While I support this entirely, it comes across that
> you're saying
> AusRegistry is responsible for the problem, which
> whilst they do
> debate the fact that there's a problem at all, it
> isn't AusRegistry's
> fault that the policy is how it is :)

Actually its not a policy problem (although ideally it
would be good to remove emails), it's how to protect
the data from misuse. which is a registry problem.

There are many ways intermediate steps and checking
processes can be put in place prior to the data being
displayed, however these require some investment. I
would suggest a weeks work from a decent programmer.
After all you are not reinventing the wheel. Possible
solutions would be referrer checking, member/user
access, different levels of access depending on IP,
masking, forms etc etc. All have there inherant
problems but hey that's life.

It seems that registrars and resellers have unlimited
access to the whois database so you would also need to
contain them somehow, whats the point on having limits
when you can use a registrars whois anyway.

Bill