Re: [DNS] Re: Policy on domain ownership

From: Chris Maltby <chris§sw.oz.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:28:18 +1000

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 09:13:16PM +1000, Bennett Oprysa wrote:
> As the domain was registered prior to July 2002, the current rules do not
> apply and as such it is perfectly acceptable and in fact likely that the
> registrant is a person. This does in fact mean that the person is the only
> entity capable of authorising changes to the domain.
>
> I'm afraid that as far as Jason is concerned, there is nothing you can do to
> 'force' anyone to give you control of the domain, it simply is not yours,
> regardless of who has done what work for it. The only option is to
> 'negotiate' a handover with the current registrant.

That's an interesting opinion...

As I recall, when kre was in charge of .org.au registrations the
rules were even tougher. He insisted on there being an organisation
which fitted in no other 2LD as the main requirement. I think it's
erroneous to suggest that this would imply that some individual
would become the "owner" of the domain. In any case, all pre-2002
.org.au domains have since required renewal, and it has been my
experience that registrars demand that the auDA policy be complied
with for renewal.

It seems that netregistry have responded now, so I guess its between
them and Jason.

Chris