RE: [DNS] Searcher twists name rules

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:54:19 +1100
Well, I think that domain names have a value in and of themselves - witness
the sale of business.com and many many other names that are sold as names
only (no servives attached). The entire aftermarket exists in gTLD because
names have an inherent value.

Another perspective on the auDA sales of Generics is that they were sold and
promoted as more valuable than regular non-generics and this was based on a
general perception that they had sold for large sums in other markets.

As a regulator with a  task to educate the market, auDA did nothing to
dissuade potential bidders of this notion by explaining bidders should not
draw conclusions from high value generic sales overseas, because there was a
restriction on resale here.

It is an ethical minefield for a regulator to become involved in this way in
the valuation and sale of domains.

Larry