Re: [DNS] Searcher twists name rules

From: Deus Ex Machina <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:35:43 +1100
Kim Davies [kim&#167;cynosure.com.au] wrote:
> Quoting Mike on Friday March 25, 2005:
> |
> | Imagine if you were or are an ordinary shareholder of a company who was
> | successful in the previous generic auction process that was run, paying
> | $100K+ for a generic domain..
> | Continue imagining the business goes belly up.
> | Imagine the look on the Administrator's face when he goes to sell the
> | 100K domain name..
> | LOL
> | I reckon auDA might be in for a fight.
>
> A domain registration is a limited license under specific terms. If
> someone thinks they have a perpetual immutable right to a domain name,
> then that is through their own stupidity. I am sure domain names aren't
> the only things in this world that are non-transferable.

you forgot the word arbitrary. the terms are completely arbitrary.

the names policy panels seem to attract people that make a career
of being unelected public representatives.

note too the policies are only enforceable by contract. auda has no
authority to directly take away a domain from a registrant other then
through a registrar.

I enforce the policies entirely because of contract, that doesnt mean I
have to agree with them.

Vic