Re: [DNS] Searcher twists name rules

From: Deus Ex Machina <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:24:08 +1100
Kim Davies [kim&#167;cynosure.com.au] wrote:
> Quoting Deus Ex Machina on Thursday March 24, 2005:
> | >
> | > Can you buy thousands of number plates to resell, without even owning a
> | > car?
> |
> | afaik
>
> I am surprised then. But on the other hand, I guess the market for
> securing a specific number plate is substantially different to domain
> names. There is probably little demand for a speculative market on
> number plates.

there are plenty of markets for plates
ie
http://www.prestige-plates.com.aU
http://www.motorsm.com/AUS/cars/number_plates.htm
http://www.cracker.com.au/sydney/for-sale/number-plates/search.aspx
etc

> | , and you can also buy phone numbers without owning a phone.
>
> That's true, but it is rare there is an intrinsic connection between a
> company's name and/or services, and the number the choose. The only one
> I can recall is 1800-reverse.
>
> For domain names, there is a perception (and correspondingly a market
> need) that a domain name matches the service it points to. Perhaps it
> would be different if companies like Enetica were expected to be found
> at http://mgftncxhbng.com.au or http://203.17.36.26/. But, then again -
> unlike phone numbers or registration tags - the whole reason the DNS was
> created was to create a mnemonic relevant mapping between an entity's
> name and its location on the Internet. If it didn't, we could draw that
> analogies more relevantly if people were fighting over specific IP
> numbers.

phone numebers overseas are more connected to names, people give you
mnemonics like 1800 buyflower, I dont know why this doesnt happen here
much.

Vic