Re: [DNS] Bottle Domains - transfer issues URGENT HELP PLease.

From: Nicholas Bolton <nick§bottledomains.com.au>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:39:31 +1100
Hi Jim,

Drop me an email off the DNS list with the clients domain name, and
I'll investigate what may have occurred for you.  For the record, the
DNS List is for the au domain, TLD's are typically out of scope.

Without knowing all the information, a possible explanation is:
The domain was in Redemption at the time the renewal request was made
through Bottle Domains.  As a result the renewal would have failed, and
the customer would have been contacted by phone advising of the process
to redeem a domain.

If you attempted to transfer the domain in any of its stages after
expiry; well, typically these transfer out requests are declined by the
current Registrar, and you must renew through their connection.  The
gaining Registrar should advise you that they will be unsuccessful
obtaining the domain in this circumstance, in particular if it is in
Redemption period, as there is no possible way to redeem a domain other
than with its current Registrar.

Bottle Domains is a TLD reseller of Planet Domain.  The renewal &
delete cycle of our TLD's are as follows:
- Email renewal notices sent 90, 60, 30, 15, 3, 1 days prior to expiry.
- The domain expires
- For 14 days after expiry, the domain remains in our 'grace period'
where the name is still active in the DNS, and may be renewed.  During
this time we generally make attempts to contact the customer by means
other than email.
- The next 14 days the domain is placed on Registrar-Hold, where the
DNS is removed from the domain, however it may still be renewed.
- After these 28 days a delete request is sent to the Registry and the
domain drops into the native 'Redemption Period', where the domain can
be redeemed and renewed for around AUD$100.  This lasts for around 30
days.
- Finally, if not redeemed the domain goes into a random drop after
redemption which can last up to 5 days.
- The trend in the domain industry at the moment, is once a TLD, that
had web traffic whilst it operated, drops from the registry, it is very
quickly snapped up by traffic accumulators.  Companies register
thousands of domains simply for the traffic they generate.  It looks
like this has occurred with your clients domain.

If the client needs this domain, and cannot settle for an alternate, I
suggest you contact the current Registrant and propose to purchase the
domain back.  Given that the domain has already been off air for 45+
days, it may be more cost effective for the client to register an
alternate domain and move on.

Bests,

Nicholas Bolton
Managing Director