Re: [DNS] Resellers transferring domains without notice

From: Virtual Visions <webdesign§virtualvisions.com.au>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:20:27 +1030
Dear Bruce,

Thank you very much for all your information. Firstly, I must say that
I am quite certain that no Transfer Confirmations were received by any
of my clients throughout last year, yet RegistryWeb managed to move
several domains from MelbourneIT to Namescout and then in this last
instance again to PlanetDomain.

All the domains in question were initially registered with RegistryWeb,
but I must admit at the time it didn't occur to me that it mattered
that RegistryWeb was a Reseller, not a Registrar.

Am I correct in that it is the responsibility of the gaining Registrar
to send out a Transfer Confirmation to the Registrant?  I am still a
little confused ... how is it that RegistryWeb can initiate the
transfer without approval of their customer, yet hold none of the
responsibility?   I must be missing something.

My client would like to transfer and renew their domain name with the
ISP that hosts their Web site. However, in order to do this, to start
with, we need a Domain Password.  When RegistryWeb are asked for the
Domain Password, they send us the Invoice Number of the account with
them. I am now waiting for PlanetDomain to oblige and give us the
Domain Password.

However, I'm afraid that when we finally manage somehow to get the
Domain Password, and the Transfer Request is sent to the Registrant
Contact Email (which will be that security handle instead) it will
never reach the client - it will just disappear and then nothing will
happen. I say this only because it has happened many times in the past
when trying to transfer .com's from RegistryWeb. It is impossible.
Very unfair to the client and has been a true waste of time.

Any further comments, suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

Thanking again, Sandra