Re: [DNS] domain news - 20 January

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:56:50 +1100 (EST)
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, David Goldstein wrote:

 > .uk - The inventor of the World Wide Web is now Sir Tim
 > Berners-Lee (KBE)
 > Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web, is now Sir
 > Tim Berners-Lee. He has received a knighthood in the New
 > Years Honours List for 'services to the global development
 > of the internet'. In 1989 Tim Berners-Lee developed the
 > Universal Resource Locator (URL) which initiated the start
 > of the 'internet' - by allowing individual pages stored on
 > remote computers, to be recognised by a configuration of
 > numbers or letters. Now often referred to as domain names.
 >
 > http://www.pickering.uk.net/news/news_vault/jan_june_2004/01/berners_lee.shtml

Hi David,

Most of this article isn't too bad; good on Tim if gongs are his thing -
however the paragraph that you quoted is full of garbled misinformation,
characterised by very poor use of the language, even for a journalist.

Berners-Lee's development of the URL, HTTP and seminal work on HTML did
not lead to the "start of the internet", which predated the WWW by many
years; TBL is quoted as acknowledging as much in the same article.  It'd
be fair to say that the WWW led to the _popularisation_ of the internet.

Nor did (or does) the development of the web have anything to do with
domain names, per se.  The DNS also predates HTTP/HTML by many years.
Remember email, ftp, archie, gopher and numerous internet protocols?

Sorry to nitpick, but this type of jingoistic journalism gets to me :)

Cheers, Ian