RE: [DNS] DNS and Spam

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:20:37 +1000
> Non electronic spam! Ian what is your understanding of spam!

Rod

Sorry I was too obscure.  I hope the following better explains the point I was
trying to make.

My reference to "legislation to ... deal with non-electronic spam relating to
domain names" was intended to cover unwanted domain name material delivered to
letter-boxes, e.g. letters that look like invoices.   I was suggesting that the
Federal Government's spam (electronic junk mail) legislation might address this
and other domain name problems.  (I appreciate that are other ways of handling
such problems, including using State/Territory fair trading laws and/or the
Trade Practices Act.)

> ... Have you ever had to pick up a $550 data bill ...   and ... This is the
true meaning of spam stealing data ...

The spam you have described may not be covered by the "definition" in the NOIE
Report <www.noie.gov.au/publications/NOIE/spam/final_report/what.htm>.  This
definition is likely to form the basis of drafting instructions for the Federal
Government's spam legislation.

If this "definition" of spam does not cover your situation - my reading is that
it may not - I suggest you consider writing to NOIE or the Minister expressing
concern.

If you agree, I would like to consider using your example of the costs faced by
a small business (i.e. the $550 data bill) and proposing that the Federal
Government's spam legislation provide for compensation to small businesses in
prescribed circumstances.

As a matter of principle, SETEL <www.setel.com.au> has long held the view that
where a small business suffers financial detriment as a result of someone else's
"failure" to comply with legislation, the business should be entitled to full
compensation.  Financial detriment includes the incurring costs that are greater
than would otherwise have been incurred by the small business and the foregoing
of revenue that would otherwise have been received by the small business.

I'd be happy to discuss this spam issue further (off-list I suggest).

Regards

Ian

--
Ian Johnston, Policy Consultant
Small Enterprise Telecommunications Centre (SETEL)

SETEL is a national small business consumer association
advancing the interest of Australian small business
as telecommunications and e-commerce consumers

... snip ...