Re: [DNS] More on the issue of reseller / registrar relationship

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:19:19 +0200
Quoting Steven Ebsary on Monday June 23, 2003:
| On Mon, Jun 23, 2003, Kim Davies wrote:
| >
| > Furthermore it _belongs_ to the telco, it is just leased
| > to you for the duration of the service. It is like IP
| > addressing, not like domain names.
|
| Arnt domains only licensed to the registrant for the duration of the service
| only?

Yes, but they are licensed by the registry. it is not tied to a
"service", as in web hosting etc.

| There is nothing stopping you from buying from the registrar in the model
| I proposed, the reseller is just there to offer the added services, like
| clients I've delt with actually want, more bundled services and less
| companies to deal with.

So how is your model different from now? That the registrars only line
of business can be retailing domain names and that they are prohibited
from selling anything else?

kim