RE: [DNS] web.id.au

From: Dassa <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:57:13 +1000

|> |
|> | mydomain.aus.com. is not acceptable to me personally and I
|> would not
|> | promote such a business "oppurtunity" for the sake of
|> saving / making
|> | a few dollars. Perhaps individuals that wanted low-cost
|> doesn't matter
|> | if I lose it Internet addresses then these quasi setups are
|> | Ok............
|>
|> The problem is education. People on this list know the
|> "difference" between namespaces run within the public-owned
|> regimes, and those run for private benefit. Most don't
|> realise there is a higher risk of things going wrong. For
|> all we know "Graham Webber" is a kid trying to earn some
|> pocket money who doesn't care about issues of performance or
|> stability.

Personally in this instance I think the enterprise has been setup on a
domain that isn't really intended for that sort of use.  However, the
enterprise itself is just as valid as any other.  For instance the
impact of a hosting provider or ISP going out of business or providing
shabby service would have even more impact than DNS being down.
Alternative DNS and domains/hostnames can be quickly set up but if you
loose your data and/or connection, then things become very serious and a
site may not be restored quickly.  There are a number of third level
domain/hostname registries, I run one myself, they often provide a
better service than the second level registries.  I admit, there is
always the chance a registry will not be professionally run but then,
that applies to the second level registries also, look at how many TLD's
have lame systems.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch