RE: [DNS] Consumer Alert

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:32:16 +1100
Time I woke up and stuck my oar in with something I've raised before.

The solution is really easy - follow the car registration route, in which
the number plate is analogous to the domain name.

Allow resellers to sell the *initial* registration, with a reasonable
mark-up; after all, domain names are usually sold as an adjunct to other,
higher value, services.  Just like the number plate comes with the car.

All renewals are then done at a *lower* rate, and solely through a central
authority, or at worst, solely through only accredited registrars.  Just
like car registration renewals.

All of the spam around renewals will stop - there and then.  All of the
effort will then go into *new* business development, which is great for all
of us.

Ron Stark