Re: [DNS] RE: bizcatalyst.com.au

From: Saliya Wimalaratne <saliya§hinet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:20:50 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> However, at least in WA when I registered my business name a few years
> ago, they made quite a stink about businesses registered for the sole
> purpose of obtaining a domain name.

You mean the Dept of Fair Trading (is that what it's called in WA?)

That's because a business name is only to be registered for the purpose
of trading under that name (at least, in NSW last time I looked :)

"Registering a domain name" != "trading under that name"...

Selling the business that licences the domain is almost exactly the
same thing as selling the domain name, so why not permit sale of
domain names is the argument, I believe.

The counter-argument hinges on the above - the idea that you're not
supposed to register a business name for the purposes of registering
a domain name, so therefore a business being sold will have more to
it than just the domain name.

From where I stand the counter-argument doesn't seem to have a great
deal of merit. However, the alternatives (facilitation of cyber-squatting)
are less attractive...

Regards,

Saliya