RE: [DNS] Notification of DNS name server changes

From: <Tom.Minchin§csiro.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:55:53 +1000
The notification of redelegation is very much a useful feature as it gives the original DNS holders notification that they need to remove (or otherwise modify) their name server configurations. I would say 99% of customers would not notify
their old DNS providers - but complain bitterly a few days/weeks/months later when "old ISP" customers "can't see my new website".

It should be in a registrars best interest to make sure a domain redelegation goes as smoothly as possible, and DNS integrity is kept.

Of course, it's in the DNS providers best interest to make sure they only hold zones they are authorative for too, but it's polite for the registrar to let them know in advance of a move.

Melbourne IT should be proud that their system is (used to be anyway) better than "standard practice".

AUDA should be doing more to encourage better DNS practices by insisting on this for all .au registrars.