Forcing web hosting clients to change registrar

From: Justin Sullivan <js§justnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:45:42 +1000 (EST)
Hi,

Interested in views on this scenario (unfortunately, not hypothetical):

(1) We register a domain for a registrant (either as registrar or reseller
for another registrar);
(2) The registrant goes to get hosting via a third party (a well-known
Australian company);
(3) Registrant contacts us saying the hosting company has had some sort of
trouble redelegating the name so of course we attempt to help...
(4) ... and it quickly transpires that in fact the hosting company is
insisting on doing a registrar transfer from the current registrar to "our
preferred registrar" - even though the registrant's domain is only days
old.
The registrant has been given no information at all about the consequences
of registrar transfer (e.g. loss of existing 1.97 or so years of license
fee that they have already paid for) or other implications such as needing
to enter into a new agreement with the new registrar.
It is possible this would have been forthcoming at some later point, but
as the hosting company is taking a "we'll look after it all for you, don't
mind the details" approach, I would not be entirely surprised if they
continued to try to keep the registrant in the dark as much as possible.
I am interested to hear (on or off list) whether anyone else has
experienced anything similar - or has any comments on this situation.
Regards,
JS

--
Justin Sullivan Ph (02) 9948 8888 Fx (02) 9948 1111  http://justnet.info/au/