RE: [DNS] Internet Name Group off line?

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:08:58 +0100
Cyrille

It's possible that they may have obtained the data under the terms of the
"Bulk Whois Access" clauses in ICANN's Registrar Accreditation Agreement,
which mandates that registrars must make their Whois available in bulk,
updated weekly to anyone that signs the relevant agreement and pays the
money (normally US$10,000 per annum).

See clause 3.3.6 at: http://www.icann.org/registrars/ra-agreement-17may01.htm

This does however prohibit the use of this data "to allow, enable, or otherwise
support the transmission by e-mail, telephone, or facsimile of mass, unsolicited,
commercial advertising or solicitations to entities other than such third
party's own existing customers."

In short, the only way this data can be used for marketing purposes is by
ordinary mail.  This is presumably the basis of campaigns conducted by Verisign
in the US (currently under investigation by the US Federal Trade Commission
and the reason for two law suits against them - see www.icannwatch.org for
more details), the so-called Domain Registry of Canada/America/Europe/Australia
(details also at ICANNwatch) and others.

IF they've got your data by this means AND they're sending their "offers"
out by any means other than ordinary mail then they would be in breach of
the Bulk Whois Access Agreement that they have signed with the registrar
that provided the data.

It's unclear to me whether the 'customer contact' provisions in auDA's Code
of Conduct (see http://www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-2002-13.txt ) would be
relevant in a case such as they do not appear to anticipate such a situation.

regards
jon