Re: [DNS] Reseller Fees

From: <craig.ng§maddocks.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 8:45:51 +1000
Adam - may I suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Trade Practices
Act before you make unfounded and erroneous allegations and defamatory
comments in this forum about auDA breaching the TPA.

Your example relates to a type of conduct which is prohibited under Part IV of
the TPA called restrictive trade practices, more particularly third line
forcing. auDA's requirements under the Registrars Agreement are clearly not
conduct which can be considered to be third line forcing, or restrictive trade
practices under the TPA.

Adam - it is easy to make allegations of the kind you are making.  However,
where it relates to a public company breaching any law, may I suggest that you
check your information carefully before making such allegations in a public
forum.

Regards

Craig Ng
Partner
Maddocks

t  +613 9288 0523
f  +613 9288 0666
e  craig.ng&#167;maddocks.com.au

>>> "auda&#167;todd.inoz.com" 9/07/02 10:55:08 pm >>>
That sounds like market control and fixing to me.

>MIT will charge the authorized reseller the applicable auDa fee within 14
>days of beinginvoiced for it by auDa

Yes, to some degree.

But it reminds me greatly of the EGG sales fiasco many years ago where Chicken
Farms weren't allowed to sell their eggs to the consumer directly and HAD to
sell them via the Egg Consortium or whatever it was called.  This was in the
days before the ACCC.

I'm sure, this alone is enough to cause the ACCC have cause against auDA
because for simplicity, if a person wanted to go into business selling domain
names from the .AU name space, and they did NOT pay a fee to the CORPORATION
that creates those names, then it's prevented from undertaking business.

It clearly says it's a FEE.  In Private Trade, as auDA is NOT a Government
Organisation, I think you'll find this is deemed as a TAX under section 55 (?)
of the Australian Constitution, or could be considered RESTRICTIVE TRADE.

Now RESTRICTIVE TRADE is something that hasn't been bandied around for a bit.  Considering that auDA should not have control over whom can contract with a
Registrar, it comes across to me as very concerning.

auDA has the power to RESTRICT trade between a Registrar and a RESELLER, or to
even restrict a Reseller from entering into trade.  It also places an unfair
financial burden on a business that wishes to enter trade as a reseller.

Imagine if Hardware Importers charged retailers for "becoming resellers."

Hmm.  Food for thought.

author, further information at the above URL.  (330 subscribers.)

Craig Ng

Maddocks
Tel: (03) 92880555   International: +61 3 92880555
Fax: (03) 92880666   International: +61 3 92880666
Web: http://www.maddocks.com.au
The information in this electronic mail is privileged
and confidential, intended only for use of the individual
or entity named.  If you are not the intended recipient,
any dissemination, copying or use of the information is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission
in error please delete it immediately from your system
and inform us by email on info&#167;maddocks.com.au.