RE: [DNS] MelbIT and INP love loss?

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 19:26:05 +1000 (EST)
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Mark Hughes wrote:

 > > you can logically conclude that any reseller that will
 > > terminate a reseller agreement with Melbourne IT is going to have its
 > > clients kidnapped by receiving a nice e-mail ...
 >
 > If a Reseller stops using a particular Registrar, then the domain names
 > remain with that Registrar unless the Reseller or the Registrant choses to
 > initate a transfer of Registrar of Record to a new Registrar.

Can you clarify?  By saying 'the Reseller or the Registrant choose to'
you seem to be implying that the Reseller can transfer Registrar of
Record with or without the Registrant's consent?

 > That applies whether the Reseller stops using a particular Registrar
 > voluntarily, or is kicked out by that Registrar.
 >
 > But there is nothing to stop the Reseller from transferring the client's
 > domain names to another Registrar.  The Registrar terminating the agreement
 > with the Reseller can't prevent it.  However, such a move will involve a
 > 'Transfer of Registrar of Record', and include a renewal of the domain name
 > registration.
 >
 > See http://www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-2002-08.pdf for the Transfer of
 > Registrar of Record Policy.

Sure, I've read all those documents - well skimmed them at least - but
again from what you say, it's not clear that this requires the consent
of the Registrant?

Cheers, Ian