RE: [DNS] Very Concerned RE Trademark and IP issues with 'Generic Auctions'

From: Adam Todd <auda§todd.inoz.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 12:02:37 +1000
>How about this scenario?  Only the company name is changed the rest is
>fact - *name* = semi-generic word
>
>Company registered as     *name*.com.au Pty Ltd
>Company trading under that name with goodwill and clients in Internet
>related businesses
>Company registers Trademark that includes protection of logo, the exact
>company name ie *name*.com.au and the text www.*name*.com.au and a catch
>phrase that in essence partly describes the business of the company and
>goods and services description.
>
>Surely then if auDA is advised of this information, they would have a duty
>of care to provide all bidders in the auction for the domain *name*.com.au
>warning of this claim??  Wouldn't you agree??

Look you aren't protecting YOUR client by hiding the details and
facts.  This is worse than trying to find out how many boat people landed
in Australia last month.

Do some serious PR for your client and yourself and give the CORRECT
details so that people who care and have the ability to assist you can at
least do the appropriate research.

I can't check the registration dates of the trademark because you didn't
give any details as to what it is.  It might have NO relevance at all to
registration of a domain name.

What are you afraid of?  ING sending a renewal to your client?  I'm sure
that already happens.

Sheesh.

No wonder nothing is achieved properly and then everyone whinges when
something goes against them.