RE: [DNS] New 2LD Proposals (to date)

From: Marty Drill <marty§nexsta.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:07:32 +1000
In the case of id.au, a cheaper price will have an impact. The ability
to get a 'life-long' (in reality domain name comes up for license for
every 2 years) would be appealing in this case and even more appealing
if the price is 'affordable'.
Consider the shear novelty factor of having john&#167;smith.id.au. The
practicality of having john_smith&#167;isphome4me_loser.com is clear. So for
the practical and the novelty, id.au may just work. auDA have attempted
to make it affordable, as it should be.

In terms of .com.au, if the price is cheaper and the policy changed, we
may find that businesses register multiple domains simply to cover
plural of domains and their product names etc.

However, in the case of many companies' web strategies, yes the domain
name is just the number plate on the car (as has been suggested).
Companies will register based upon need. Small business may register
based upon price and education.

What is clear, price matters to individuals and small business. For
id.au to work, the price has to be attainable. For .com.au, the
competition will speak for itself. What is certain is that number plates
will be printed in bulk from July 1 and well into overtime.

Cheers

Marty