RE: [DNS] New 2LD Proposals (to date)

From: ginger FISH <cyrille.lefevre§scifi-art.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:08:44 +1000
Thanks for answering mate.

<<
.. To make it easier for others to access their content
.. To make it easier for themselves to access their content
.. To brand a particular site/product
.. To provide a brand for email
.. To stop others using a particular name

Fait enough, but that is for business people.
It doesn't really apply to individuals.
basically for most people it will be :
" Why do i have to register a domain name to have an email address, my
bigpond address works and it doesn't cost me much.I don't want to pay for
domain registration and email hosting ( first because i don't know shit
about al that internet stuff, so i want to save me a headache ) to get an
e-mail i am going to check once a week ! "

Now for new businesses 2TLDs
" I already have a .com and a .com.au for my company, i don't need to
register anything else. You can say that i need to register them before
someone else does but i don't give a rat's ass, that's a pure weak sales
argument and i am not biting. I have all i need and my company is reknown,
people know where to find us so i don't need anything else.Thank you .
Besides when time comes for renewals, it is going to cost me a thousand
dollars to renew half a dozen domain names i don't even use."

That is good for big companies that have money to waste, but for small
businesses it will NEVER work. And it is about small businesses we are
talking about.

<<
.. Vanity
.. To be cool

Yeah, that is if you have money to waste, and not a lot of people waste
money on such trivial stuff..

<<
.. It is the convention

It reminds me if an IBM commercial " we've got to have a website, i don't
know why , but we've got to have a website" ..
that doesn't work either.

Ginger