RE: [DNS] Discount Domains and the ACCC

From: Saliya Wimalaratne <saliya§hinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:04:07 +1000 (EST)
On Wed, 15 May 2002, drew&#167;dronus.org wrote:

> I too have had call s from customers telling me that people have been
> calling them trying to get their domain renewals.. not the same company
> that is in this thread though ( i dont think that they have started
> spamming in my part of australia yet )

Hang on guys,

there's nothing wrong with offering a service to
not-already-your-customer for a price.

The important part is that any such offer needs to be clearly presented as
such. An offer of a new service that is branded 'renewal' is, IMHO,
Deceptive or Misleading conduct under the TPA and as such is already
covered.

Don't make it impossible to offer a competitor's customer a better
deal; just make it impossible to do so in a misleading fashion.

With respect to the 'you must register x.com because you have x.com.au'
tactics; plainly, it is up to the individual business to decide whether
they want to do this. I of course think that more than one domain per
entity (for the purposes of 'protection') is stupid.

Regards,

Saliya