Re: [DNS] .com WHOIS information

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 14:49:17 +1000 (EST)
If you have the registry key for the domain then you can do whatever
you like with it under the current system (including changing the
admin contact which should be someone from the registrant, changing
the DNS servers if necessary, and even changing the registry key).

I would have thought that if you don't have the key and you aren't
admin or tech contact (so you could recover the key automatically
from key&#167;aunic.net) and you ask the reseller to give you the key,
then any reputable reseller would give it to you (as long as they
are sataified that you really are representing the registrant).

If that fails, Melbourne IT have processes to recover registry
keys for com.au registrants (subject to authorisation no doubt).

Once you have the registry key you are the "master of your domain"
so to speak.  All registrants should have the registry key for
their domains.

I believe the equivalent in the new regime will be called the
"domain password" (which is a better description of what it is).

Ian wrote:
] It appears that I no longer have the right to renew my own domain name. When
] I parked my name to point at my site I signed a form giving permission to
] REDELEGATE my domain with one of your resellers. I DID NOT GIVE PERMISSION
] FOR THEM TO MANAGE MY DOMAIN and still have all the original documentation
] to prove it.

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management