Re: [DNS] Transfer of Registrar of Record

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 09:18:12 +0100
OK so the transfer policy in its current form essentially says that transfers
are really competitive renewals.  Sure, fair enough.

Why then does the policy also state that a transfer can occur at any time?

What about the situation where I am as an enduser totally dissatisfied with
the service that I am receiving from my registrar?  Why should I be penalised
for wishing to switch providers mid-licence?

This policy in its current form is contradictory.  On the one hand, transfers
are allowed at any time, without even a cooling off period of, say 60 days,
to protect registrars and resellers from credit card chargebacks and fraud.
 On the other hand this policy creates a significant disincentive to end
users to transfer their names to a new provider at any time other than the
end of the licence period.

Why also does this policy create a situation where the registry will directly
benefit from churn between registrars?  Every time a name is transferred
under this policy the registry gets a new 2 year licence fee.  Good deal
for them indeed...

rgds
jon