RE: [DNS] Transfer of Registrar of Record

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 16:11:47 +1000
This post is in response to the thread in general, rather than David in
particular.

In my experience, the registrar is of little relevance to the consumer - all
they're interested in is continuity of service.  The most likely churn is
between resellers, and only then in response to poor service (or predatory
marketing, but that's already been dealt with).  I don't expect any
significant registrant-initiated requests for transfer to another registrar.

Churn between registrars will most likely be initiated by resellers, so I
think that's where remuneration problems will arise.  After all, as far as
the registrant is concerned, they've paid for 2 years' registration, and
they simply do not want to know about any disputes that may arise in the
meantime.

As I see it, we're spending an extraordinary amount of time in trying to
prevent churn with existing registrants, where we should be devoting effort
in opening up the market for new ones.

Ron Stark