RE: [DNS] Transfer of Registrar of Record

From: Michael-Pappas <auda§michael-pappas.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 15:08:48 +1000 (EST)
> But conceptually, allowing a domain name renewal for a full two years
> to take place at any time has some advantages:
>
> * Entities with more than one domain name can arrange for all the
> renewals to fall due at the same time, if they so wish.
>
> * Entities with more than one domain name can arrange it so that all
> their renewals don't fall due at the same time, if they so wish.

This can be arranged now if a company wishes or could be by the registrar..
with out forcing people to do so. Terminate the domain name and re apply at
the time of renewal the registrant wants. This is well within the
registrars abilities and also the registrants.

> * In an odd sort of way it acts as a consumer protection measure for
> the Registrant - it makes the Change of Registrar of Record a more
> significant event by tying it to a renewal, which may minimise
> unnecessary churn.

Not sure what is meant by this. How and in what way is it 'sort of
protecting the registrant if they are forced to pay more than is needed.

Also what is minimize unnecessary churn ??? Are you referring to the load
on the registry...

Also i see this hurting competiting registrars being forced to pay higher
registry costs.

What I see as happening is original registrar pays the registry $50, then
transfer occurs in 1 year and another $50 is paid to the registry..

What is the registry paying to auDA $11 or $22. or may be it's $16.5

What happens here???

> * And the full two year renewal also is a consumer protection measure
> if it stops the problem of entities charging for a Change of Registrar
> WITHOUT doing a renewal.....

This implies that policies are not going to be in place to take consumers
problems and action then accordingly. Also that registrars and reseller are
all this way inclined.

> Think about this scenario:  Registrant is a company with 3 divisions or
> trademarks and they have a domain name for each of them.  Registrar A
> says to the Registrant "we're the Registrar for one of your domain
> names, it will be simpler if we're the Registrar for all of your domain
> names - pays us a "Change of Registrar" fee and we'll transfer the
> other ones for you. Registrant pays out money and doesn't even get a
> renewal.

Then they complain to the auDA and action will be taken against the
registrar.

> * Even the issue of 'losing' part of the registration period that's
> been previously paid for isn't as straightforward as it seems.  The
> difficulty here is that we have to make a few assumptions and we don't
> have enough information about how the Registry / Registrars / Resellers
> might operate, but.....
>
> To minimise unnecessary churn there probably should be some sort of fee
> attached to a Change of Registrar of Record.  Now, suppose we assume
> that after the introduction of competition, the cost of renewing com.au
> domain names settles down at $100.  And lets assume a 'Change of
> Registrar of Record only' fee of $50.

What is the transfer fee for if the current proposal is taken up??? I would
be hard pressed to pay additional sees to change registrars..
this 'thwarts' competition.

> If your domain name is in the first year of your two year licence
> period, you may think paying the fee for a Change of Registrar that's
> less than the renewal fee looks OK.  But after the first year, its
> actually better value to just do a full renewal for two years and get
> the Change of Registrar thrown in for nothing.  So it probably all
> evens out in the long run.
>
> * The other advantage of the existing proposal - one of the reasons
> I've come to think clause 3.2b in the draft is so clever - is that its
> elegantly simple from a policy and administrative viewpoint.  Don't
> need a separate procedure for Change of Registrar of Record.  Don't
> have to worry about who's going to incur the cost of changes, will a
> fee have to be levied to cover the costs by the Registry or Registrar
> or Reseller, etc, etc.  And having policy and administrative simplicity
> counts for a lot!

This clause to me is a disadvantage. eariler you say that there will be a
transfer fee.. ($50).. then here you say that it's not worries about who
incurs the cost.. yeah it seems the registrant will... What extra cost is
there in applying a transfer fee that you say will apply..

For me to understand why I an paying extra for a renewal/transfer I need t
know what this cost is incoured for I simply don't see it..

Renewal/transfer/new domain name all have the same requirements and should
not be any different. 2 years license and they must all keep in with the
requirements of the registration agreements.

If they 2 years was not added to change registrars then I can see why I
would need to charge for the change. But your way there is none...

Regards,

Michael-Pappas.