Re: [DNS] Transfer of Registrar of Record

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 14:59:58 +1000 (EST)
] >> This will cause the current registrars, melb it, connect, etc etc to
] Domain name: example.com.au (could be a .net.au for argument sake)

I don't think Connect plan to be a registrar in the new regime.
Connect is not a test-bed or provisionally accredited registrar.

] In the case of (3) companies may wish to move domain names over to a new
] registrar for all domain names and not have domains all over the place.

If I renew domain X.com.au for two years with registrar Y, and one month
later want to transfer to registrar Z, does that mean registrar Z is
expected to accept all the responsiblities of being the registrar for
X.com.au for 23 months with no payment?

If so, registrar Z is not going to be particularly interested in getting
my business.  Especially since I might decide 22 months later to switch
back to registrar Y because they are cheaper.  Result: Registrar Z
provided 22 months of service for $0 and Registrar Y gets the money
for providing only 2 months service.  Not much incentive there for
registrars to provide a high level of service.

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management