RE: [DNS] RE: auDA to consider new names for .au

From: Dassa <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 23:22:08 +1000

Not at all.  I am fully aware of the economics.  I pay the bills and
know exactly what it costs.  And how it is funded in our own situation.

|> There is a cost and in your case you are bearing it on behalf of your
clients,
|> presumably as a loss-leader/value-add to attract customers
|> to your other billable products.

There is no simple answer but it all boils down to the basic costs being
much less than the fees being currently charged for DNS.  When I started
on this with Monolith this was the case and it still is.  There is money
being made, it doesn't have to be for the service to be provided.  At
least, the current fees could be reduced dramatically and the same
service could be provided.

|> I regard the DNS as a public resource that should be
|> professionally managed.

You would have a lot of trouble with understanding the past performance
of the major players then.  It still isn't professsional although they
charge some of the highest fees.  High fees do not mean better service
or a professional service.

|>  Unless it is run on a volunteer basis (an arrangement that
|> does not usually lead to acceptable levels of service) then someones
got to
|> pay for it. That doesnt necessarily have to be paid for by charging
fees
|> but I'm a firm believer in user pays so I think it should.

User pays is good but it is usually a cloak for profit making.  High
fees do not equate to professional or better service.  And lets face it,
there is little service required for DNS.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.