RE: [DNS] Att: Chris D. re ING and others

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:26:58 +1000
> I guess MIT wouldnt really want to stop "those
> operators" in the interim for the main reason that any business exists,
> they make money for them.

Well, I'm not sure you've correctly analysed the situation here.

While Melbourne IT remains the sole com.au Registrar, ALL com.au
registrations go through them, regardless of whether the domain is renewed
directly by the Registrant, or by an unethical Reseller, or by an ethical
Reseller.

So there's no big advantage to Melbourne IT from having unethical resellers.
"Churn" between resellers doesn't really affect Melbourne IT as they get
100% of the business anyway.

If you want to see a situation where a Registrar has some sort of financial
incentive to 'overlook' unsavoury practices of Resellers, you'll have to
wait until the new system with competing Registrars is introduced .  With
multiple registrars competing for the same customers, there will me more
incentive for a Registrar to 'treat lightly' a Reseller who is delivering
significant business to them, i.e. there's an incentive for the Registrar
not to look too closely into the Reseller's business practices.

Hence the importance of auDA's current draft document on domain name
transfers - see http://www.auda.org.au/policy/transfers-whois.html.  I
recommend everyone read it carefully and provide constructive and well
thought out input to auDA.

BTW, regarding Melbourne IT's ability to stop doing business with some
Resellers, perhaps people are unaware that Melbourne IT's position as the
sole com.au Registrar reduces its ability to refuse to do business with
Resellers, rather than enhancing it.

If you're a monopoly supplier of a product, you have to be quite careful
about "refusing to do business" with a particular customer, as any refusal
to deal by a monopoly completely prohibits the customer from purchasing the
product - and may lay the monopoly open to various penalties.  But if there
are multiple suppliers of a product, then one supplier's refusal to deal
with a specific entity isn't such an issue.

So a Registrar that is one of many can cease dealing with a Reseller with
less repercussions than a monopoly Registrar can.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959

http://www.auda.org.au/list/dns/