DNS List

From: Chris Disspain <ceo§auda.org.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:00:41 +1100
Yesterday afternoon several 'contributors' to this list were removed
from the list. You'll all guess who they were and why they were removed.
It now transpires that at least one of them by his own admission, 'has
no interest in the DNS, doesn't know what anyone is talking about, and
was only on the list because he was asked to join to stir up trouble and
"have some fun"'.

I have received legal advice that auDA could be liable for comments made
by participants on the list as it is technically auDA that publishes the
list. This is of some concern given the sort of contributions we have
all experienced over the last few weeks. I am not prepared to put auDA
at risk in this way.

As I see it, these are the alternatives:-

1.	Have the list moderated either by checking contributions before
they are posted or in some other way such as limiting the number of
posts per day for those who appear to be abusing the list.
2.	Introduce some new rules for the list, the breach of which would
lead to removal. These might include things such as no pseudonyms, no
fake email addresses, no personal attacks etc. These rules would be
included on the application form and the submission of the form would
oblige the member to abide by the rules. The form would also need to
include an indemnity to auDA against any liability arising from comments
made on the list. All current participants would need to complete a form
as well as new ones.

3.       Cut the DNS List loose by providing a couple of weeks warning
that we will cease to host and thus allowing someone else to pick up the
responsibility if they want. Meanwhile, we would set up a new auDA
discussion list open to auDA members, registry, registrar and
re-sellers.

Ultimately, whilst auDA facilitates this list and is legally responsible
for it, it is provided for the benefit of subscribers and so I would
welcome your considered input on the above and any constructive
alternative solutions you can come up with.

Regards,

Chris Disspain

CEO - auDA

 <mailto:ceo&#167;auda.org.au> ceo&#167;auda.org.au

 <http://www.auda.org.au> www.auda.org.au