RE: [DNS] RE: [LINK] auDA to auction rare domain names

From: Greg Taylor <gtaylor§efa.org.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 21:56:43 +1000
At 22:27 26/12/01 +1100, Ron Stark wrote:
>I'm curious and confused.  Isn't the auDA policy firmly against squatting?
>How does the apparent action below by one of its Directors reconcile with
>auDA's position?  And how do such names get past the rules of derivation,
>unless there is a business name registered for each.

There *is* a business name registered for each:
e.g.

domain:      festival.com.au
descr:       Quad Quality Addressing Pty Ltd
descr:       (ACN) 089645983
descr:       (Business Name) Festivals and Fiestas
descr:       (RBN) BN97775809 (NSW)

domain:      sucks.com.au
descr:       Quad Quality Addressing Pty Ltd
descr:       (ACN) 089645983
descr:       (Business Name) SUCKS ALPHA
descr:       (RBN) BN97761336 (NSW)

domain:      tavern.com.au
descr:       Quad Quality Addressing Pty Ltd
descr:       (ACN) 089645983
descr:       (Business Name) Tavern Internet Services
descr:       (RBN) BN97760164 (NSW)

domain:      truth.com.au
descr:       Quad Quality Addressing Pty Ltd
descr:       (ACN) 089645983
descr:       (Business Name) Truth and Justice
descr:       (RBN) BN97775806 (NSW)

domain:      sux.com.au
descr:       Quad Quality Addressing Pty Ltd
descr:       (ACN) 089645983
descr:       (Business Name) SUX
descr:       (RBN) BN97761332 (NSW)

etc. etc.

>There must have been quite an investment in time and money to secure all of
>these names.

Certainly has been.  There would have been no guarantee when registering
the business names that the corresponding domain names would have been
granted.  INA's policy is somewhat arbitrary to say the least.

Also, how can these domain names be legitimately transferred?  Presumably
only by "selling" the "businesses" with which they are associated?

>At the very least we deserve an explanation.

I agree.

Greg