RE: [DNS] auDA Service Level

From: Adrian Stephan <akstephan§ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:19:25 +1100
Dear Kim

I think you will find that when the ACN system was introduced it reconciled
many of the duplications.  I can vaguely recall the admin stuff we went
through at that time.  If you go into the ASIC data base and do a name check
it will actually show names by states.  There could be some instances like
this but my understanding is that over the last 10 years there has been an
attempt to stop this happening.  It could happen though and then it is quite
simple to fix the RBNs:  xxxvic, xxxnsw, xxxtas, etc.

AS for the company name it is quite intersting and you may be right.  But,
when I see others forced to include the pty ltd or ltd in their domain name
I will accept it.  Otherwise it is not an issue.  Again if we use the ASIC
register as  basis.  You check on the word only and not on the type of
company.  When you do an identical name check (their words) you only put in
the word and not the title of the company.  For example when you do an ASIC
identical names check for logistic it only points to logistics.  But, that
little fact is of no interest either!

If we have a policy that allows one to abstract a word out of the name as a
domain name, and then force someone else to include the type of company in
the domain name it is inconsistent.

So, for example, when woodside.com.au (post codes 3874 and 5244 and
therefore a good chance of being a geographical name) and is not required to
show it is www.woodsideltd.com.au, why do you even raise it in my case?

Rgds

Adrian

Adrian Stephan (Managing Director)
Logistics Pty Ltd
POB 5068
PINEWOOD  VIC  3149
Ph: +61 (0)3 9888 2366 Fx: +61 (0)3 9888 2377
akstephan&#167;ozemail.com.au
adrian.stephan&#167;logistic.com.au
www.logistic.com.au