Re: [DNS] auction question

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:14:02 +0800
Quoting Mark Hughes on Thursday December 20, 2001:

| Regarding actual successful web sites, there's no evidence there either that
| having a generic name is an advantage.  Do you go to books.com, or to
| amazon.com?  Ever been to computers.com?  Interested in genealogy? -
| cyndislist.com and rootsweb.com are the places to start, not genealogy.com.
| Do you use searchengine.com and portal.com, or do you go to google.com and
| yahoo.com?
|
| If having a generic domain name really gave an advantage, then generic
| domain names would be over-represented (not just represented) in any
| classification of successful sites.  They're not.
|
| Its about time we recognized the 'generic names are better' claim for what
| it is - an internet myth.  There is no evidence to support it.

I think there is however a value in having memorable domain names that
are short, easy to pronounce, with no confusion. These are properties
generics have. Sure, computers.com might not be a valuable commodity
in itself, but if you build a valuable business around it I think
computers.com would be better than something more complex.

kim