RE: [DNS] Notional value of a domain name

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:14:08 +1100
Thanks Craig.  I'm not suggesting that policy change is *likely* to occur.
It's simply a risk that a business has to take, small as it may be.  On your
latter point regarding "need to use the domain name":  The issue here is a
business and commercial one, because the name will have acquired awareness
thus value in the market place; any number of clients may use it as a link;
promotional documentation may use nothing but the domain name; it may in and
of itself have evolved into a brand name; it may form part of an asset
disposal / sale a business wants to make.  There are a multitude of reasons
why domain name continuity is a crucial business strategy.

My disquiet hinges on two aspects:  One, my inability to protect and utilise
any commercial value that may have accrued in a domain name (such as to sell
it as an asset), and two, the risk of retrospective effect, albeit
unintended, under the current policy.

It's here that we see policy in conflict with commercial reality.  We can't
change commercial reality, so I think that the policy needs to be reviewed
to accommodate the type of scenario to which I refer.

I understand that at the CoP meeting this issue was identified, and I'm
relieved that it appears to now be on the auDA agenda.  Or am I mistaken?

Ron Stark