RE: [DNS] international domain news

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:14:32 +1100
Hello Glenn,

> We have AusRegistry P/L operating the registry, ie backend
> infrastructure / Aunic etc etc.
>
> Large domain name resellers can apply to AusRegistry to become
> registrar's such as Melb IT, Tucows etc. These guys interface directly
> with Aus Registry.
>
> Smaller companies can then be resellers interfacing with the
> registrar's.
>
> Or does everyone just apply to be a registrar / reseller to
> AusRegistry?
>
> I think if someone can explain the structure (like above?????) it will
> be a bit clearer for all and sundry.

Just to clarify further:
auDA licences the registry operator through the registry licence agreement.
The registry operator was selected by a competitive tender process.

auDA licences registrars via an accreditation process, which includes
passing a technical interface test with the registry.  auDA regulates the
practices of these registrars through the registrar licence agreement.
Other companies may choose to be resellers.

The registry requires an agreement to be signed by the registrar - called
the Registry/Registrar agreement.

The registrar requires an agreement to be accepted by the registrant -called
the domain name licence agreement.

A registrar also requires an agreement to be accepted by a reseller that
uses the registrar to register domain names on behalf of the registrant.
This agreement will require the reseller to ensure that the registrant is
aware of the domain name licence agreement, and that the reseller must abide
by the auDA policies as required under the registrar licence agreement.

Thus there are a series of contractual relationships that govern the
industry structure.
The registrant really only needs to worry about their agreement with the
company (registrar or reseller) that provides the registrant's services.

The size of the company is irrelevant when deciding to be a registrar or
reseller.  It is up to the company to choose what role they want to play in
domain name registration.  Registrars offer a wide range of business models
to suit different resellers, whereas the interface between registry and
registrar is the same for all registrars.  In fact there are many resellers
internationally and in Australia that are much larger than any registrar.
There are also many registrars in the com/net/org model that are very small
companies.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin