[DNS] Multiple Roots are "a good thing" (was False DNS's etc...)

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 21:31:59 +1100
Hi Saliya

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:41:56 +1100 (EST), Saliya Wimalaratne wrote:

> What you seem to be missing is that, should one of the 'nasty alts' become
> the standard (as ICANN is now) *each of the other* 'alternate root server
> networks' is in the same boat as they are now; and the 'alt' has merely
> replaced ICANN in the hierarchy. Good for the particular 'alt' (oh yes; to
> have control of the world's DNS!!!) but not good for everyone else.

I am pretty familiar with the implications here but I was trying to pitch my
explanation at a simple but comprehensive level in response to the inquiry.

As I say in my sig file, I am a Director of the Top Level Domain Association
(TLDA).  This is an industry association set up by TLD holders (rather than
the roots) to promote their TLD offerings.  It is also concerned to eliminate
"colliding"TLDs.  It does not seek to overthrow ICANN.

All of the current "alt" roots, except two, have agreed with each other to
avoid colliders.  There is some disagreement about who has priority in
relation to a particular TLD on a first com first served basis.  The main
offender (i.e. who disregards priority TLD claims) is NewNet.

Holders of TLDs can switch from one root to another without much of a problem.
This causes the root managers to support the various TLDs in their portfolio.
In such a system, the most successful root may be the one that includes the
greatest number of TLDs on offer.  It must also not have any "colliders".

Each root manager can, if they wish, keep a subset of the alternate TLDs in
their zone file provided they also include the ICANN set.  They do not
necessarily need to keep a complete set.  Many root operators prefer the
terminology of "inclusive root" rather than "alternate root"

The ability of these roots to live together has been explained by Karl
Auerbach:

2.  Multiple Roots are "a good thing"
http://www.cavebear.com/cavebear/growl/issue_2.htm#multiple_roots

> > What can ICANN do?  Try to persuade the nasty alt root people to go away.
>
> I would *very much* like to see this happen.

It will never happen partly because swags of people have other agendas.

> Regards,
>
> Saliya

Regards
Patrick Corliss
I'm on the Board of auDA (the .au country code) as well as TLDA (the Top
Level Domain Association).   Please note that anything I write is my own
personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the views of any body
with which I am associated.  Please also note IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer).