Re: [DNS] False DNS's etc...

From: Saliya Wimalaratne <saliya§hinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:41:56 +1100 (EST)
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Patrick Corliss wrote:

> system (or DNS).  Without getting into too much technical detail, the highest
> level of the DNS is known as the "root".  In simple terms, there is a single
> root server which holds a file of all of the extensions you can use.  This is

Right.

> known as a "zone file" and the extensions are known as "top level domains".
> Examples of these extensions include .com, .net and .org (generic or global
> TLDs) and .au, .fr and .nz (country code TLDs).  There are multiple root
> servers to ensure a high level of security.

"Availability" is the key word here, not security.

> Most of the time, the alternate roots include all of ICANN's data in their
> zone file.  However, problems may arise with top level domains which do not
> coincide between the "official" and "alternate" roots.  In that case, your

Or between various "alternate" roots themselves.

> domain name inquiry may resolve to a different location depending on which
> system you have used.  Such an clash (also known as a "collider") has occurred
> with the new gTLD called .biz.  This is claimed by both types of root.

Meaning that the domain name that the client has purchased, and wishes to
tell people about, is no longer useful. It's rather like purchasing a
listing in a German telephone book to map your name to your number; and
then telling all your clients they need to be able to speak German before
they can call you.

> You don't need the plug in providing you use an ISP who is sympathetic
> to the alternate roots.  Unfortunately for the alt roots, very few ISPs want
> to go to the trouble.  That means the "alts" are unlikely to make much money.

What you seem to be missing is that, should one of the 'nasty alts' become
the standard (as ICANN is now) *each of the other* 'alternate root server
networks' is in the same boat as they are now; and the 'alt' has merely
replaced ICANN in the hierarchy. Good for the particular 'alt' (oh yes; to
have control of the world's DNS!!!) but not good for everyone else.

> What can ICANN do?  Try to persuade the nasty alt root people to go away.

I would *very much* like to see this happen.

Regards,

Saliya