RE: [DNS] DDNS joins ING & IRA ?

From: Rowe, Joshua <Joshua.Rowe§auspost.com.au>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 18:43:26 +1100
Rod,

DDNS's approach may not comply with the Interim Code of Practice.

from: http://www.auda.org.au/docs/Interim_COP.pdf

--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<
--
8. Renewal Notices

Registrars and resellers shall not send to registrants renewal notices that
appear to be
(or could be construed as) invoices for payment, unless the registrant is
their customer.

All solicitations for business should be clearly identified as such, and
should include a
statement that the registrant is under no obligation to respond and may
choose to renew
their domain name licence through their existing registrar or reseller.
--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<
--

DDNS addresses the notice to the "Accounts Department" which may give
organisations receiving the notice an impression that it is an invoice.

Also, unless DDNS has permission from the CEO of auDA, they may be
contravening the Terms of Use of the AUNIC database.

from: http://www.aunic.net/copyright.html
--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<
--
AUNIC Whois Database
Terms of Use

The AUNIC database is a public service provided by .au Domain Administration
Limited (ACN 079 009 340) ("auDA").

By submitting a query on the AUNIC database ("AUNIC") you agree with auDA
that you will only use the data retrieved for a lawful purpose and will not,
under any circumstances, use the data to

1. allow, enable or otherwise support the transmission of unsolicited,
commercial advertising or solicitations via email or otherwise; or

2. support your own or a third party high volume automated electronic query
process. Whether or not any automated query process is "high volume" shall
be determined by auDA in its absolute discretion.
--

It is the blatantly obvious that AUNIC is the data source for DDNS's direct
marketing campaign.

Josh
* any views are my own