Re: [DNS] List Etiquette

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 18:08:36 +1100
On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 10:08:44 +1100, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> If the list knows that someone is sending a virus to anyone who posts,
> I think it is their responsibility to remove the offender (their fault or
> not), until they have fixed their machine.
>
> I am not sure what your crack "Not a particularly Christian Sentiment
> Skeeve" means, but if you want a theological debate, bring it on - off
> list.

Hi Skeeve

That's a remarkably defensive posture, Skeeve, to what was a most gentle
comment by David G. Thompson.

If you are, in fact, a Christian then you should simply show some humility
and agree.  If like me, you do not adhere to the Christian faith, just say so.

The truth is that you both have valid points.  One suggests to remove an
offender from the mailing list, the other impies there is no need to do that.

List members could reasonably agree with either view.

In either event, there is no need to blame the offender.  As David said "I'm
sure Nigel didn't do this intentionally".

I'd rather view viruses like the flu.  It's up to the person suffering from
the flu to take reasonable precautions against passing it on but if it does
happen well that's life.  But your point is that it is up to "us" to take
reasonable precautions individually and collectively to ensure we don't catch
the virus.

To do otherwise would be akin to negligence.  As you pointed out:

> If the list knows that someone is sending a virus to anyone who posts,
> I think it is their responsibility to remove the offender (their fault or
> not), until they have fixed their machine.

It seems to me that David was responding to the critical tone implied by the
words "can we throw Nigel off".  Being a bit more sensitive we might say:

> Would it be possible to remind Nigel of his responsibilities to the list?
> Meanwhile it would be advisable to suspend his posting privileges.

For the future then, should the list owners suspend the posting privileges of
a subscriber with a faulty machine through a virus or otherwise?

The answer ?

"Yes, of course, it is essential to protect the stability of the internet".

Best regards
Patrick Corliss