RE: [DNS] Retention of domain name

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:45:02 +1100
Hello Ron,

> It's worthy of note that if I change my company name, I
> retain my original
> ABN, my original bank account number, my everything else -
> why not my domain
> name?

Well a better analogy is you retain your IP address.
The ".com.au" name is a licence, which reflects that you meet the
eligibility requirement for a ".com.au" licence.    In all other licences if
you are no longer eligible - then you lose the licence.

In most cases I can't see a problem with continuing to use a domain name for
business, in Australia.  The rules should be flexible enough here.  If on
the other hand your business has been forced to close, then the licence
should also be removed.  e.g if you are convicted of drink driving, you lose
your licence.

If you wish to use the domain name for something else, then register the
same name but a different suffix (e.g domainname.info, or yourname.name).

Regards,
Bruce