[DNS] The need for a code of practice

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:28:56 +1100

> Bloch did not limit his attack to those carrying out such
> practices--he also
> targeted Melbourne IT, the auDA and the ACCC for their
> failure to place
> appropriate restrictions on an industry rife with what he describes as
> unethical marketing practices.

And while we are at it, how about the parents of the individuals running
such organisations, or the schools that taught them.  I have heard such
arguments before.  We should focus the blame on those that misbehave not on
those associated with them.

While there are many on this list that seem to favour a dictatorship -
benevolent or otherwise, I prefer to operate within the laws of the country.
If action was possible under the Trade Practices Act, it would probably
already have been taken.  Otherwise, it is a matter of the industry working
together to develop codes of practice, and work collectively to educate the
consumer.

Please note the comments from the Chairman of the ACA in the annual report:
From: http://www.aca.gov.au/publications/annual/0001/overview.htm

" Voluntary industry codes are intended to provide dynamic, flexible
regulation for the industry and greater industry responsiveness for
consumers. After a slow start, the registration of 12 industry codes,
including six dealing specifically with consumer protection matters, means
the priority consumer issues identified in the Telecommunications Act have
now been addressed. Self-regulation in this area has been a success, and
industry appears to be taking its consumer responsibilities seriously.

The next challenge relates to how codes operate and are seen to be operating
in the interests of consumers. Industry commitment to voluntary code sign-up
and compliance is essential - self-regulation that relies on the regulator
for enforcement is self-defeating, and it is far better for industry to make
existing codes work rather than face mandatory requirements."

Regards,
Bruce