RE: [DNS] auDA web site

From: Chris Disspain <ceo§auda.org.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:57:49 +1100
Don,

I did not suggest that we lacked "sufficient funding for managed advertising
(of calls for public comment etc.)"  I made no mention of public comment and
it is not correct to suggest that auDA cannot fund such processes.

I said that auDA does not, at present, have the funds to instigate a public
awareness campaign which by necessity would be scatter-gun in its approach.
There is a difference. Soon we will be commencing our 'education campaign'
to inform people about the new changes etc. When we do that we will also be
able to deal with existing practices.

As for approaching NOIE, whilst I cannot speak for them, my understanding is
that they support a self-regulatory system that is self funded. A
self-regulatory system, by definition does not have a legislative basis from
which to operate but regulates itself.

Volunteers were offered the opportunity to be a registry operator. The
tender was open to everyone.

I do not think your linking of volunteer registry operators and voluntary
actions of ISPs is valid. ISPs/re-sellers are in business. One of the
fundamental tenets of good business (at least from my point of view) is that
an opportunity to contact your customers (to place you at the 'top of their
mind') is very valuable. I would have thought that most re-sellers and ISPs
would have welcomed the opportunity to have a good reason to contact their
customers and keep them informed. Further, and perhaps far more importantly,
it is those very re-sellers and ISPs who are losing customers to the
'sharks'. Surely the tiny cost of emailing their database with relevant
educational information is worthwhile. Apart from anything else, it's simply
good customer service. This does not mean that they sould stop complaining
to us, ACCC and so on. It just means that a little pro-activity wouldn't go
astray.

It is not auDA's role to market the .au domain name space to any great
degree. auDA is the policy body. It will be the role of the Registry
Operators which is why the RFT asks the specific questions;

"Give details of the Respondent's proposed Marketing Plan pursuant to the
Registry Licence Agreement." and,
"Give details of the Respondent's capacity to contribute to the development
of the domain name industry in Australia."

Regards,

Chris Disspain
CEO - auDA
ceo&#167;auda.org.au