RE: [DNS] Have IRA gone one lie too far?

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:08:00 +1100
Following my earlier posting, a couple of other thoughts occurred to
me......

Regarding who is likely to end up with the role of renewing domain names, my
guess is that a decade or so from now it is likely that for many businesses,
their accountants will probably be the ones renewing their domain names,
just as they manage the business names / company names.  That is, I reckon
over time the 'techo' element of domain names will subside, and they will be
treated as just another part of business administration.

Offsetting that, however, most domain names a decade from now will belong to
individuals not businesses - which will be a surprise to the politicians who
somehow think the internet is really only about business, with other use by
society just an irritation.  Whether most of the .au domain names a decade
from now are non-business depends largely on what happens with .au domain
name policies.

I predict that the introduction of competition in provision of .au domain
name services will lead to a significant reduction in prices for registering
domain names, and a result of that will be a reduction in the viability of
dodgy domain name renewal practices.  These practices to some extent trade
on the reality that many domain name holders have only an approximate idea
of what they paid for their domain name ("ummm, I think it was somewhere
between $100 & $200 bucks").  So when they get a renewal notice pitched at
$215 it doesn't look out of place.  If the cost of registering .au domain
names comes down to say, $50, then the "margin" an unscrupulous operator can
whack on top without triggering "gee, that doesn't seem right" reactions,
reduces considerably.  In fact, the lower the cost of domain names in the
general market, the less 'margin' dodgy operators have to play with - which
is likely to make the game not worth playing.  For example, while gTLDs are
going for something like $15 per year, they don't appear to have a similar
problem.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959