Re: [DNS] ING

From: Peter <peter§instra.com.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:56:24 +1100
Hi

There seems to be a general lack of legal knowledge amongst all
complainants about ING, IRA, etc., and the limitations on auDA and
Melbourne IT.

Currently there is nothing that I know of that makes the practices of these
particular companies illegal, indeed it could be argued that they provide
"aggressive competition"

Melbourne IT are in the insidious position of being a monopoly which,
whilst making them substantial profits also means the Trade Practice Act (I
think its Section 32 - but I'm not a lawyer & its years since I looked)
restricts them in arbitrarily taking action against resellers. In other
words if they chop off supplies without a sound (legal) reason they leave
themselves open to a court challenge, with the possibility of substantial
damages awarded against them.

But - all is not lost - the rules after deregulation require resellers to
be registered with auDA and we can safely assume that their requirements
(for registration) will ban the ING/IRA/etc practices.

Peter Dean
Director - The Instra Group
Candidate for auDA director - Supply Section