Re: [DNS] What is this?

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:39:20 +0800
Quoting Ian Smith on Wednesday September 26, 2001:

| Scripted whois queries, if the included JavaScript is any indication?
| (Note: no M$ software runs here, I've only text-viewed that .xls file)

I just ran it through strings and see what you mean. That stuff doesn't
appear in Excel.

The JavaScript looks like it is from a banner ad, which I am guessing
would be from a whois gateway page that it was presumably taken from.

|  > changed:     nobody&#167;aunic.net 20010617
|
| There are a number of 16th June 2001 entries there also, which would
| seem to age the data, given, again, that this dataset is 'genuine'.
| Could you indicate where 17th June 2001 stands in relation to the two
| actions described regarding removing of access to AUNIC data in bulk?

I don't know the specific dates, but I believe the steps to stop mass
queries of AUNIC were put in place around that time. Chris Disspain
could probably provide more information of when steps were taken to curb
that behaviour.

regards,

kim
--
Disclaimer: Personal opinion only. I am not speaking for auDA.