Re: [DNS] CANADIANS HIT WITH DOMAIN SCAMS AND QUESTIONABLE PRACTICES

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:24:17 +1000 (EST)
Thanks, Maureen.

It's good to hear these things are working smoothly in Canada.

Hopefully things will work similarly in Australia when we have
registrar competition in com.au, net.au, etc.

] Hello,
]
] My first posting to this list, but I thought it appropriate since I am the
] past Chair of the CIRA (Canadian Internet Registration Authority) Board and
] a current Director on the newly-elected Board, and I am in Canberra at the
] moment.
] Given that auDA has encountered similar situations, and CIRA is interested
] in learning from your experiences (and in the spirit of international
] cooperation), I just wanted to let you know what action CIRA has taken.
] A synopsis of the CIRA staff's action follows:
]
] On Tuesday morning, July 17, CIRA staff began receiving emails and phone
] calls from registrants complaining that they had received documents
] resembling invoices from IROC.  The complainants' main concerns were that:
] - The "invoices" resembled Government of Canada financial
] documents/statements;
] - They had never heard of IROC.
]
] CIRA staff immediately looked into the complaints and determined that IROC
] was a reseller for a CIRA certified Registrar. Staff then advised Industry
] Canada and
] the Registrar that CIRA was receiving complaints against IROC.
]
] At approximately 1:00 PM the Registrar advised CIRA staff that the contract
] with
] the reseller had been terminated.
]
] On Wednesday morning, July 18, CIRA staff were advised by Industry Canada's
] Competition Bureau that IROC was under investigation for sending these
] "invoices" as well as other activities.
]
] CIRA staff will continue to cooperate with
] government authorities in their investigations.
]
] Regards,
] Maureen Cubberley
]
] Maureen Cubberley
] Partner, ASM Advanced Strategic Management Consultants
] Director, CIRA Canadian Internet Registration Authority
] Director, The Smart Portal Co. Inc.
] m.cubberley&#167;sympatico.ca

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management