[DNS] Re: Jim Fleming

From: David Lindsay <d.lindsay§law.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:11:12 +1000
Although I am vehemently opposed to censorship of any kind, I agree with
Patrick that the recent postings of Jim Fleming are unhelpful.  IMHO the
implications of multiple roots are disturbing for both technical and
process-related reasons.  Moreover, in my understanding, there would appear
to be little relationship between gTLD issues and IP v8.0.  Finally, it is
presumptious in the extreme for someone to be pretending to be the
spokesperson for "the Internet way", when the person may well be acting
from self-interest.  It should perhaps be borne in mind that many of the
current difficulties involving ICANN and the DNS seem to have resulted from
a poor understanding of legal issues (not only in relation to existing
Intellectual Property Rights, but also relating to the establishment of an
effective regulatory authority).  I thought we were well over the "anything
goes" sort of nonsense underlying the Fleming postings.

Regards,

David Lindsay
Research Fellow
Melbourne Law School