Re: [DNS] .au space proposal

From: Richard Archer <rha§>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:13:56 +1100
At 9:08 +1100 24/11/00, Patrick Corliss wrote:

>Let's agree that there should be a whole load of new 2LDs.  Why not?

Do you mean "Why not" hypothesise on that basis? Or "Why not" create
a whole load of new 2LDs?

The IMHO overwhelming argument against creating a whole raft of new
2ld's is that they are confusing to users. The existing and division is bad enough... imagine if users had to contend
with,,, and so on. I don't think
they'd cope!

>Isn't even slightly possible that this money could be used in some way to help
>finance a better internet?

I don't believe so. The two scenarios I envisage are:

1. The money goes to line the pockets of Melbourne IT's shareholders

2. The money goes into the government's general revenue and funds a
1c per litre cut in fuel excise for Australia's primary industry
further reinforcing Australia's third world economy.