Re: [DNS] What's in a name? Too little, says panel

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:18:57 +1100
Hi Doug

Briefly, comments were not mine, it was a report from the Sydney Morning
Herald.  The following statement is almost certainly not true:

> Most significantly, the report proposes anyone applying for a domain name
> should first hold an associated trademark.

The report itself is published, where you might expect, on the auDa website
at:

                http://www.auda.org.au/panel/name/index.html

> But you can't trademark generic words so suggestion
> above and this one are mutually exclusive are they?

Of course you can trademark generic words.  There are many, many examples
including "Tide" soap powder and "Freedom" tampons.  In fact, I once had a
passing thought about writing a whole sentence just out of generic trademarks.
Try it if you like.

But be careful about the meaning of "generic" as defined by Melbourne IT.

> What power has this panel to implement any of this?

Perhaps you should just browse the auDA website at http://www.auda.org.au/

Best regards
Patrick Corliss